Charity volunteers provide essential support to the trustees/management committee in making sure we follow our aims in acting as a ‘voice’ in supporting parent/carers and their children with special/additional needs or a disability.
Why become a Bexley Voice volunteer?
Volunteering is rewarding and enjoyable. You can make new friends, share experiences and utilise your existing skills, knowledge and experience. Every role that you support Bexley Voice with will make a difference. You will need to have some spare time, commitment and passion!
Volunteers support Bexley Voice in various ways such as fundraising and general administration. They often learn new skills to help them develop into new areas, gaining confidence, experience and skills that may also benefit other areas of your life. It does not cost you anything to be a volunteer as your expenses will be covered, for example: travel, parking and stationary.
Bexley Voice volunteers enjoy being part of a team. Our volunteers feel proud to wear our Bexley Voice red t-shirt with pride, knowing that they are actively making a difference. Our motto is ‘Together we can make a difference’.
Nearly all Bexley Voice meetings and events take place during school hours/term time. We are parents/carers/relatives of children with special needs and understand that during school holidays, our commitment is to our own children and families. Occasionally you may be asked to read and respond to emails and if possible, attend summer activities such as Lark in the Park.
As a volunteer, you will be required to:
- Have a child or relative under 25 with special/additional needs or a disability or have a genuine passion to help support and follow the aims of Bexley Voice.
- Attend a volunteer induction meeting.
- Read the history, aims and objectives of Bexley Voice.
- Consider your personal commitments before agreeing to take on any responsibilities. Be realistic about the time and commitment you are able to offer.
- Claim any agreed expenses on the appropriate form, with any necessary receipts, preferably on a monthly basis. You will be given our separate expenses information on how to claim.
- Inform the PPC/Chair if you will be unavailable for any length of time (ie a 2 week holiday) with as much notice as possible. Ensure any roles/responsibilities that you have agreed to are ‘covered’ by another member during your absence.
- Occasionally you may be asked to attend a monthly management committee/trustee meeting (during term time only). They take place 9.30am – 12.30pm and are held locally. This may be for a short time slot to update the management committee on a particular subject or sub-group that you are actively involved in. If you are unable to attend a meeting, you will be required to update any previous personal action points prior to the meeting date.
- When attending any public events on behalf of Bexley Voice wear your red Bexley Voice t-shirt and name lanyard as you are representing the charity. Arrive promptly and with any appropriate paperwork.
- Forward any completed membership forms received to the membership secretary as soon as possible.
- Keep any information received confidential under the data protection act.
As a volunteer you may want to be actively involved in:
· Joining sub-groups such as fundraising and publicity.
· Participate in our ‘School Visit Programme’ with other members.
· Participate in organising and promoting special events such as our parent/carer conference.
· Assisting with promotional distribution such as leaflets via post, on foot or by car.
· Attending our parent/carer Tea and Talk support group, making tea/coffee and helping new members.
· Supporting our Membership Secretary with entering and updating information onto our membership database.
· Supporting our School Visit Co-ordinator with updating contact information and arranging school visits.
· Supporting our Secretary with general administration such as sending letters, arranging thank you gifts and collecting/responding to any post received.
· Supporting our PPC/Chair person in attending meetings and events.
· Supporting our Treasurer with account preparation, payments and general administration.
· Promoting the Bexley Voice Facebook group and preferably contribute to posts and comments.
· Assisting with arranging meetings, workshop and speakers including venues.
· Attending various previously agreed meetings, mainly local but occasionally in London and the surrounding area.
· Complete a report form about any meetings attended and update any appropriate members.
· Preferably attend the Bexley Voice AGM held in September every year.
· Reading and responding to emails regarding subjects such as meetings, training courses, events and consultations that you have chosen to be actively involved in.
· Contributing to various consultations.
· Proof reading documents.
· Providing any information requested for the Bexley Voice website.
Assist in ensuring the website remains up to date by proof reading and suggesting information and links.
· Collating requested information for the Bexley Voice e-bulletin by the previously agreed deadline date.
· Attending any previously agreed training courses (paid for by Bexley Voice) if required such as IT and public speaking.
If you would like to volunteer for Bexley Voice, please complete the volunteer application form - follow the link below, the application form is at the bottom of the page.
We look forward to hearing from you soon and ‘Together we can make a difference’.
Bexley Voice Volunteer Application Form (on-line)